This is THE BEST from scratch carrot cake recipe, made with chopped walnuts, grated carrots and covered with the most divine homemade cream cheese frosting.
A Pinch of Adventure is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Every year my oldest son asks for a carrot cake for his birthday. It’s kind of funny because he doesn’t really like cake all that much, but he does like my carrot cake. The real reason he asks for this cake is because he shares a birthday with his grandma (my mom, how cool is that!) and he knows that it’s her favorite cake.
If you are looking for a homemade carrot cake, you came to the right place. No other recipe will beat this one!
Recommended Kitchen Items
I do highly recommend having a food processor handy. Using the grating attachment for the carrots in this recipe will save your life… and your whole day! Down below you can check out the food processor I love. These things last FOREVER! My mom has one that was passed down to her from her mom… it has to be about 30 years old and it still works like new.
Click on that food processor! It’s time! you need one!
Preheat the oven to 350 F and butter and flour 2- 9″ cake pans.
Get out the grater attachment and grate the carrots.
Sift all of the dry ingredients together. With an electric mixer, add oil and eggs, one at a time. Add the grated carrots and mix until combined.
Fold in the chopped walnuts and pour the batter into the floured cake pans.
Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Now for the frosting, take room temperature cream cheese and butter. Cream them together with an electric mixer add vanilla and powdered sugar and mix well.
When the cakes are completely cooled, removed the first one onto a platter and frost the top with some of the cream cheese frosting. Add the second cake on top of the frosting. Now frost the whole cake, top and sides.
Refrigerate until ready to serve, enjoy!
Check out these other popular desserts from A Pinch Of Adventure
The BEST Homemade Carrot Cake
For the Cake
- 2 cups all purpose baking flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teas baking soda
- 2 teas cinnamon
- 1 ½ cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 stick butter
- 1 teas vanilla
- 4- 4 ½ cups powdered sugar or 1 lb.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grate the carrots using a box grater or a grater attachment on a food processor for more ease
- combine dry ingredients
- With an electric mixer, mix in oil and eggs, one at a time until well combined
- Mix in carrots
- Fold in chopped walnuts
- Pour into 2 greased and floured 9" baking pans
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Cream room temperature butter and cream cheese and vanilla together until well combined
- Add in the powdered sugar and beat until combined
- When the cakes are completely cooled, frost the bottom layer first
- Add the 2nd cake on top and frost the top and the sides. Refrigerate cake