This marinated mozzarella balls recipe is such an easy appetizer that is perfect for entertaining and for snacking! With a minimal amount of prep time and few ingredients, this mozzarella appetizer is perfect for parties!Jump to Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. The author may receive commission on purchases made through these links at no cost to you.
An Easy Mozzarella Appetizer:
You are going to absolutely LOVE this recipe for marinated mozzarella balls in oil and spices! Why? Because it is an incredibly easy and quick recipe using mozzarella pearls, and it's a crowd pleasing appetizer!
Most likely you already have all of the ingredients (besides to mini mozzarella balls) to make these marinated fresh mozzarella balls, and you don't need any crazy kitchen gadgets.
All you need is the following:
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella (also called bocconcini or ciliegine cheese)
- extra virgin olive oil
- crushed red pepper flakes
- fresh garlic
- fresh parsley
- dried basil (or fresh)
- dried oregano
Ciliegine Mozzarella vs Bocconcini
While both of these cheeses are fresh mozzarella cheese, the only perceptible difference is their size. Bocconcini mozzarella is a slightly larger mozzarella ball compared to Ciliegine mozzarella. Bocconcini cheese is formed into balls about the size of a ping pong balls, where Ciliegine mozzarella balls are slightly smaller, about the size of a cherry tomato.
Since both of them are still mini mozzarella balls, for this recipe, you can use whichever you prefer. I personally used fresh Ciliegine in this recipe.
How to marinate mozzarella balls:
As I previously stated, you are going to love me for this recipe because it is so stinking easy!
Drain your mozzarella pearls from any water and place them in a bowl or in a large mason jar. Measure out your olive oil into a measuring cup and add the fresh diced garlic and all of the spices and fresh herbs and give it a little stir.
Pour the infused olive oil over the mozzarella balls, making sure they get completely coated. Cover and place in the fridge. Allow the mozzarella balls to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
🥗 Serving suggestions
How to serve marinated mozzarella balls:
This recipe for marinated mozzarella balls is really delightful, because it can be served many different ways. Here is a list of some of the ways you could use your delish oil marinated mozzarella balls:
- By itself (yes, it's delish just to serve at a party as an appetizer by itself)
- Serve it with crostini
- Add it to a charcuterie board
- Use it as an ingredient in a fresh salad
- Serve it on fresh caprese skewers with cherry tomatoes and fresh basil
- You could even bake them on top of your next pizza
- Mix them into a cold pasta salad
- Antipasto skewers
I'm sure you could think of a ton of other ways to use these deliciously marinated bocconcini balls! The possibilities are quite endless!
Can you freeze mozzarella balls?
You can freeze mozzarella balls BEFORE they are marinated. Once the mozzarella balls are in olive oil and marinating, you cannot freeze them.
How to store it
This recipe can be stored in an airtight container or jar, in the fridge for up to 3 days. Anything after that, they begin to become discolored.
Check out these other popular recipes by A Pinch Of Adventure:
- Burrata Bruschetta
- Lebanese Chicken Shawarma
- Mediterranean Grilled Chicken
- Lebanese Stuffed Yellow Squash
- Lebanese Tabbouleh Salad
- Easy Cheeseball Recipe
Marinated Mozzarella Balls
- 8 oz. small mozzarella balls aka bocconcini or ciliegine
- ½ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and halved
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
- Drain the water from mozzarella balls and place them in a mason jar.
- In a measuring cup, measure ½ extra virgin olive oil. Add all of the spices and the peeled and sliced garlic to the oil.
- Pour the infused oil over the mozzarella cheese balls, making sure that they are fully submerged. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Allow the mozzarella to marinate for at least 30 minutes. Can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.