Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna is for nights that you need something fast and easy, and something that the whole family will love. This Instant pot lasagna soup with bowtie pasta is made with Italian sausage, bowtie pasta, and canned pasta sauce, for an easy and quick meal.Jump to Recipe
What is "Lazy Lasagna"?
Lazy lasagna is what it sounds like, an easy and quick way to make lasagna! I love this easy Instant Pot lasagna soup recipe because it is easy and quick, and cuts out SO MANY of the steps that are necessary for traditional lasagna in a pan.
Sometimes in my house, I want to have the feel of a meal that has been cooking all day, but in all reality I don't feel like cooking. That is where this easy lasagna soup recipe comes in! It's not like the lasagna that you cook that takes all day and is a labor of love. You don't have to boil the lasagna noodles, cook the meat and sauce, layer everything, and then bake it again for another hour or so. This is as simple as simple can be!
Another great thing about the easy lazy lasagna, is that this is lasagna soup with jarred pasta sauce!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. The author may receive commission on purchases made through these links at no cost to you.
Instant pot lasagna soup is a one pot pasta dish that is a true 30 minute meal! It is not as thick as traditional lasagna, hence the "soup" part, but it has all of the flavors and feels of traditional lasagna.
What are the ingredients for one pot lasagna soup?
If you are like me, you love easy meals that require very simple ingredients. I love this lazy day lasagna because all of the ingredients I have on hand almost all of the time.
- Italian sausage (you could use ground beef if you prefer)
- jarred pasta sauce
- ricotta cheese (or I used cream cheese because I had it on hand)
- fresh mozzarella
- Italian spices
- bowtie pasta
Do I have to use an Instant Pot to make Lazy Lasagna soup?
No you don't, you can make this soup on the stove top or in a slow cooker as well, it will take a bit longer and if you use a slow cooker you will have to brown your meat on the stove top first.
If you have a different type of pressure cooker, that would work as well.
If you don't have an Instant Pot yet, now is the time! I love my Instant Pot and use it on a regular basis! There are so many things you can do with it, and it can really help you cut down on cooking time. Here is the Instant Pot I have. It really is awesome! Check it out!
While you are thinking about it, check out some of my other Instant Pot recipe:
How to make Instant Pot lasagna soup:
Hit the sauté button on the Instant Pot and add the Italian sausage (or ground beef), diced onions, minced garlic, and spices to the pot. With a flat bottomed spatula (aka basting spoon), break the meat apart and sauté it all together until the meat is browned. I love my basting spoon, it really does a great job breaking up the meat and I use it all the time when I cook. It is my favorite spatula/cooking spoon.
Turn the sauté function off and drain the grease from the meat. Add 2 jars (24 oz. each) of your favorite pasta sauce and 1 cup of beef broth and 5 cups of water. Add 3 cups of uncooked bowtie pasta, or medium shells, or the pasta of your choice.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot and manually set it to "1 minute" and make sure it is sealed. If you think 1 minute doesn't sound like very much, just trust me. Since it takes several minutes for the pot to come to pressure, the pasta will be cooking that entire time. As soon as the Instant Pot completes that 1 minute and it beeps, you may release the pressure for perfect al dente pasta. If you want it a little softer, let the pressure naturally release for 5 minutes or so and then release the seal at that point.
After the pressure is release, open the lid and add your ricotta or cream cheese to the pot. Set the instant pot to sauté and stir in the cheese. Let it melt in the lasagna soup for 3-4 minutes. Right before serving, cut thins slices of fresh mozzarella and add it to the top of the soup. If you are a cheese lover, you can add even more mozzarella if desired.
I love how melty the mozzarella is, especially if you get some good quality cheese. Don't forget to serve it with parmesan as well and some good crusty bread! Enjoy.
What kind of cheese should I use for this lazy lasagna recipe?
Ricotta cheese is a great cheese to use in lasagna, HOWEVER I never have it on hand. I used cream cheese instead. If you use cream cheese, just make sure to cut it up and stir it into the lazy lasagna soup. One thing that I do strongly recommend, is to get 8 oz of good quality fresh mozzarella cheese. It should be soft and almost falling apart.
How long will lasagna soup last in the fridge?
If you have any leftovers, make sure to put them in a storage container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.
*Please note that the pasta will absorb the liquid as it sits. It may be thicker and less like a soup after refrigerating the lasagna soup. Heat it up in the microwave and add water if you want it to be more soupy again.
Other Popular Recipes by A Pinch Of Adventure
- Marinated Mozzarella Balls
- Stuffed Summer Squash
- Homemade Pita Bread
- Cinnamon Streusel Bread
- Stovetop Candied Pecans
- Fattoush Salad
- Easy Cheeseball Recipe
Like this recipe? Don’t forget to rate it below and follow me on Instagram!
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup (Lazy Lasagna)
- 1 lb Italian Sausage or ground beef
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teas oregano
- 1 teas salt
- ½ teas ground black pepper
- ½ teas crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 24 oz. jars pasta sauce whatever is your favorite
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup beef stock
- 3 cups bowtie pasta or your favorite pasta noodle (lasagna pieces, medium shells etc)
- 4 oz ricotta or cream cheese
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- fresh grated parmesan for serving
Instant Pot Directions
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic and add them to the Instant Pot along with the Italian sausage (or ground beef), and spices
- With the sauté function on medium on the Instant Pot, sauté the meat together with the onions, garlic and spices until the meat is browned
- Drain the grease from the meat mixture
- Add the jarred pasta sauce, water, beef stock and uncooked pasta to the pot
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and make sure it is sealed. Manually set the Instant Pot to 1 minute (it will take several minutes to come to pressure)
- After the Instant Pot beeps that it is done, manually release the pressure (for softer pasta, allow it to stay at pressure for 5 minutes or so)
- Add the ricotta cheese, or the chunked cream cheese to the pot and set it to sauté for another 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is partly incorporated
- Turn off the Instant Pot and top the soup with thinly sliced fresh mozzarella
- Serve the soup in bowls with crusty bread and fresh grated parmesan
Lazy Lasagna Stove Top Directions
- Follow all of the steps above, except boil the soup together with the noodles for 14 minutes, or until pasta reaches al dente