This delicious recipe for braised beef Ragu is cooked in an Instant Pot with a homemade sauce and served with pasta noodles. Instant pot Braised beef is served with fresh basil and easy to make in an Instant Pot. This is an Instant Pot short ribs no wine recipe that is sure to please the whole family.Jump to Recipe
If you are looking for a hearty pasta that the whole family will love, this is it! It has the perfect homemade ragu sauce and the braised beef is falls apart and is for tender. Instant Pot braised short ribs are very easy to do and the meat is so tender and flavorful.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. The author may receive commission on purchases made through these links at no cost to you.
Because this is made in a Instant Pot, it's so easy and doesn't take long! It's perfect for a busy evening and kid friendly as well!
You can check out another amazing Instant Pot pasta dish here as well >>> Instant Pot Lasagna Soup!
What is braised beef?
Braised beef is a fancy way of saying that the meat used is seasoned and quickly seared on the outside before cooking it low and slow. Since it is seared, then slow cooked (or in this case, cooked in an Instant Pot), it becomes so flavorful and fall-apart tender!
This is the BEST recipe for an Instant Pot because it can all be done in one pot and done quickly! If this recipes doesn't convince you to get an Instant Pot, I don't know what will. This is the Instant Pot I use, and I love it!
What cut of meat should I use?
Most braised beef recipes call for beef short ribs, however beef short ribs can be pricey, depending on where you live. After some reading and research, beef short ribs are actually taken from the same part of the cow that chuck roast is taken.
If I don't have any of these cuts of meat, I actually use stew meat for this as well!
However, for this recipe I used a chuck roast and cut it into 2 inch squares.
- chuck roast
- medium shells pasta
- all-purpose flour
- extra virgin olive oil
- beef stock
- fresh basil
- Worcestershire sauce
- crushed red pepper flakes
- tomato paste
How to braise beef in an Instant Pot:
Don't be scared of the term "braising beef"! It's just a fancy term for searing it on high heat, or sautéing the meat on all sides before slow cooking it. What does braising to do the meat? It's a way to keep the most amount of flavor in the beef, while allowing it to become super tender!
Cut your meat into 2 inch squares, or if you are already using short ribs they won't need any trimming. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and lightly cover all sides of the meat with flour.
After the meat is prepared, set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat the oil up. Carefully drop in the beef and brown it on all sides. Once the meat is browned, remove it from the pot onto some paper towels.
How to make the ragu in the Instant Pot:
While the pan is still hot ad the onions and garlic. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or until the onions turn clear.
Slowly add the beef stock, deglazing and scraping the bottom of the pan. There will be lots of flavorful bits at the bottomed, so take a good flat bottomed spoon and scrape it all off as the beef stock deglazes it.
I am a big believer in a good flat bottomed, basting spoon! Get one here!
Now it's time to add the chopped tomatoes, half of the fresh chopped basil, Worcestershire sauce, crushed red peppers, tomato paste and sugar. Take the beef that was set aside and put it back into the pot as well.
Put the lid on and set it make sure it is sealed. Set the time to 35 minutes and allow it to naturally release for 10 minutes before manually releasing the pressure.
Boil 1 pound of medium shells according to the box directions. You could also use egg noodles or polenta to serve the meat with. It's your choice! Another popular way to serve braised beef Ragu is with pappardelle pasta. Better yet make short rib ravioli!! DELISH!
How to make a slurry with cornstarch:
What is a slurry? A slurry is made with 1 part cornstarch and 2 parts water. It thickens a broth or soup and that is what we are going to do here with our Ragu.
Whisk together 2 Tbls of cornstarch into ¼ cups of water until there are no chunks left, it should be smooth. After removing the lid from the Instant Pot braised beef Ragu, poor the slurry in and mix it around. Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and allow everything to sauté together and thicken up for 5-10 more minutes.
Toss the braised beef and Ragu together with the pasta, chop fresh basil over the top and serve! You are gonna love this entrée! Enjoy!
Shop Kitchen Products from this recipe
Check out these other popular recipes from A Pinch Of Adventure
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Easy Mediterranean Grilled Chicken
- The Ultimate Guide to Lebanese Cuisine
- Lebanese Stuffed Squash
- Lebanese Chicken Shawarma
Instant Pot Braised Beef Ragu
- 2 lb Chuck Roast, short ribs or stew meat
- 2 tablespoon All Purpose Flour
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 ½ cups Beef Stock
- ⅓ cup Fresh Basil
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 dash Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ teas Crushed Red Pepper
- 1 teas Salt
- ½ teas Pepper
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 lb Prepared Pasta I used medium shells
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
- ¼ cup Water
Instant Pot Instructions
- Prepare the meat, if need be, cutting into 2 inch squares. Dust it with salt, pepper and a light coating of flour.
- Set the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat the oil. Sear the beef in the hot oil until browned on all sides.
- Remove the beef, drain and set aside
- In the hot oil, sauté the chopped onions and minced garlic for 3-4 minutes or until onions begin to turn clear.
- Slowly add the beef stock to the cooking onions, scraping the bottom of the pan in order to deglaze it.
- Add the rest of the beef stock, tomatoes, ½ of the basil, Worcestershire sauce, crushed red, salt, tomato paste, and sugar.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot in the sealed position and manually set it for 35 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then release it manually.
- Mixed the cornstarch slurry together, ensuring there are no clumps, and pour it into the pot with the braised beef. Set the Instant Pot on sauté mode and allow it to thicken up for 5-10 minutes while preparing the pasta
- Combine the prepared pasta and the braised beef Ragu together in a large serving dish and add the rest of the chopped basil for garnish. ENJOY!