This is THE BEST chicken pasta dish EVER! Made with a creamy pesto sauce with grilled chicken, it is absolutely full of flavor and a family friendly dinner idea. Grilled chicken pesto pasta is the perfect tasty and easy dinner!
This post contains affiliate links. The author may receive commission on any purchases made through these links at no cost to you.
Now you wonder, what should I make with pesto? Not only is pesto delicious on toasted bread, it can also be an amazing condiment on sandwiches, or a dip for veggies as well. But what I love to make with pesto is Grilled Chicken Pesto Pasta.
I used to work at an Italian restaurant as a server in college and my take home meal at the end of the night what usually this very thing. Now I make it at home for my kids and they love it!
How to prepare grilled chicken pesto pasta
Take the chicken breasts and sprinkle them with salt and pepper to taste. Fire up the grill and throw them on. You will want to grill them until they are done and have good grill marks on the outside. I don't know how long, my husband does the grilling.
While the chicken is on the grill take a deep skillet and melt the butter in it. Add the flour, stirring it around, let it cook out that raw flour taste for a minute or so. You are making what is called a roux and it will thicken up the suaces.
When it's bubbly, slowly whisk in the milk, about ½ cup at a time. Don't let it boil, but let it thicken up as you whisk it in.
After the milk is slowly added, keep whisking at medium heat until it thickens to the right consistency. It will be thicker than milk, but not too thick, you will want it to coat your spoon.
Add the Parmesan and the pesto, salt and fresh cracked pepper and let it cook down for another 3-5 minutes. Don't let it boil.
Add the drained, al dente pasta to the pesto sauce and toss together.
When the chicken is done, cut it into strips and serve it over the pasta with extra pesto. ENJOY!
Shop kitchen products used in this recipe below!
Check out these other popular recipes from A Pinch Of Adventure!
Grilled Chicken Pesto Pasta
- 5-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb prepared pasta linguine or spaghetti or penne
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon flour
- 2½-3 cups whole milk
- ½ cup pesto homemade or store bought
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teas salt
- ½ teas fresh cracked pepper
- Salt and pepper the chicken breasts
- Grill on medium heat until cooked through and grill marks on both sides
- Meanwhile prepare the basil sauce
- In deep skillet melt the butter and add the flour, whisking for 1-2 minutes
- When bubbly, slowly whisk in the whole milk, about ½ cup at a time. Don't let it boil but let it get thick before adding the next ½ cup
- Keep adding the milk until it is all incorporated. Cook on medium heat, whisking frequently, for another 5-10 minutes so it can thicken up. Do not let it boil
- Whisk in the Parmesan cheese, pesto and salt and pepper. Let it cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the drained, al dente pasta to the pesto sauce and toss together.
- When the chicken is done, cut into strips and put on top of the pasta
- Serve with extra pesto if desired.