This easy French dip sandwich recipe is delicious and a family pleaser. It can be made in an Instant Pot or slow cooker and is a good go-to weeknight recipe!
Some evenings call for an easy and quick recipe that hits the spot. This French dip recipe is a great one to feed a family, and requires surprisingly few ingredients. If done in an Instant Pot, it’s a quick way to get that perfect roast beef that falls apart and is fork tender. And if an Instant Pot isn’t an option, it can always be prepared in a slow cooker for the same results.
A Pinch of Adventure is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
And talk about family friendly! My kids LOVE this recipe and it goes a long way! This is also a great way to feed a crowd for a party, or even if you want something that will give you leftovers to pick on the rest of the week. It’s also freezer friendly, so don’t be shy to buy a big cut of beef!
How to make easy French dip sandwiches
So let’s get started! Start by getting out your Instant Pot. Don’t have one? I highly recommend this Instant Pot. Slice the onions very thinly and put them in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place your roast on top of the onions. If using an Instant Pot, I highly recommend cutting the roast into smaller portions (see pic below) in order for it to tenderize evenly. If using a crock pot, no need to make the roast into smaller pieces. Add the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, spices and beef broth over the top.
Close the lid on the Instant Pot and set the time for 90 minutes. Make sure the vent is sealed and start the instant pot.
How to make horseradish sauce
Now on to the horseradish sauce. French dip sandwiches are not complete without it! All you need is your favorite mayonnaise and horseradish. Mix a few tablespoons of the horseradish into the mayo and you have your sauce! If you like it to have more of a kick, feel free to add more horseradish.
Check out the link below for my favorite Instant Pot!
French dip sandwiches require some good crusty bread. I usually buy Vienna bread and slice it thinner so my kids can bite into it easily. If you want thick slices, that’s fine too, just make sure to put it in the oven for a few minutes so it gets nice and toasted.
Once the meat is done, shred it with a fork, remove the broth into individual serving dishes. Prepare to layer your sandwiches.
Get a piece of toasted bread. Add a layer of that tender beef.
Next, add a layer of onions, and then the mayo/horseradish sauce.
Each sandwich should be served with au jus on the side for each individual. Some like to dip more than others. This French Dip recipes is absulutely delicious and family friendly! Enjoy!
Check out these other popular recipes from A Pinch Of Adventure!
Easy French Dip Sandwiches
- 1 3 lb. Beef Roast rump, arm or whatever kind you want to use
- 3 Onions thinly sliced
- 1 clove Garlic minced
- ¾ teas Black Pepper ground
- 1 ½ cup Beef Broth
- 3 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp Horseradish
- 2 loaves Vienna Bread or any crusty french bread
- Place sliced onions in the bottom of the Instant Pot or slow cooker
- Rub the roast with salt, pepper and garlic and place on top of the onions
- Add beef broth and Worcestershire sauce to the pot
- If using an Instant Pot manually set to 90 minutes sealed. Let it naturally release for 10 minutes and then release the vent.
- If using a slow cooker, do all of the previous steps but set on low for 10 hours
- For the horseradish sauce, mix horseradish and mayonnaise together
- Shred the meat with a fork and remove the cooking juices and put in single sized serving dishes for dipping
- Toast the bread and layer each sandwich with shredded meat, onions and horseradish sauce. Served with a dish or au jus. Enjoy!