This delicious cheesy broccoli gratin dish was inspired by Ruth Chris broccoli au gratin recipe that is highly raved over. This cheesy broccoli bake is made with condensed soup, freshly shredded cheddar cheese and is topped with buttery bread crumbs and baked to perfection.Jump to Recipe
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post contains affiliate links. The author may receive commission on purchases made through these links at no cost to you.
Sometimes I am in the mood for some cheesy broccoli, without having to go to all of the work to make a cheese sauce and so forth. This recipe for broccoli gratin is perfect and easy, especially since I can just use a bag of frozen broccoli florets and throw it all together in a casserole dish.
Now this broccoli gratin recipe is slightly different than a broccoli cheese casserole since it is topped with breadcrumbs and butter and baked to have a lovely crispy top.
Before we begin though, I want to make something clear. Whenever I make this recipe for broccoli au gratin, I cook my broccoli until it's very soft. For those of you who still like a little bit of bite to your broccoli recipes, you may want to cut down on the baking time.
So don't hate on me! Customize it to your liking please.
The ingredients for au gratin broccoli are:
- frozen broccoli florets
- cream of mushroom soup
- fresh shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- whole milk
- plain bread crumbs
- garlic powder
- cracked pepper
- cayenne pepper powder
Let's begin by preheating the oven to 425 ℉. Prepare an au gratin dish by spraying it with cooking spray. In a large bowl, mix the cream of mushroom soup together with the whole milk, shredded cheese and spices. Add the broccoli and give it a quick stir then transfer it to the au gratin baking dish.
Evenly spread the bread crumbs on the top of the broccoli and cheese mixture. Melt the butter and drizzle it over the top of the bread crumbs.
Cover the baking dish with foil and place it in the preheated oven. Bake it for 45 minutes and until the broccoli is very tender (I like mine super tender). If the top is not brown after 45 minutes of baking, remove the foil and broil on high for 1-2 minutes until golden brown, if desired.
You should let your broccoli cheese au gratin cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
💭 Top tip
You can cut the baking time by about 20 minutes if you go ahead and steam the broccoli partially before baking. If you buy a steamable bag of broccoli, go ahead and steam it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes less than the recommended time. Proceed by making the recipe according to the directions but cut 20 minutes off of the baking time.
🥗 Serving suggestions
I love eating this cheesy broccoli side dish with steaks, burgers, pork chops or just when I'm craving some sort of cheesy vegetable gratin.
If you liked this recipe for cheesy broccoli au gratin check out some of these other popular recipes:
- Chicken And Rice Soup
- Sweet Butter Board
- Sumac Onions
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- The BEST Homemade Carrot Cake
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwich Recipe
If you don't have some sort of au gratin dish or baking dish like this, I highly recommend you get one. They are very useful and versatile in the kitchen. You can check out my affiliate link below for a 9.5 inch gratin baking dish.
Like this recipe? Don't forget to rate it below and follow me on Instagram!
Broccoli Au Gratin Recipe
- 1 bag (12 oz.) broccoli florets
- 1 can (10.5 oz.) cream of mushroom soup
- 1-1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder optional
- ¼ cup whole milk
For the bread crumb topping
- ¾ cup plain bread crumbs
- ¼ cup salted butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together the cream of mushroom soup, shredded cheddar cheese, milk and spices.
- Add the frozen broccoli to a greased 9.5 inch baking dish and pour the cheese mixture on top, giving it a quick toss. For quicker baking time see Note*
- Evenly sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top of the broccoli bake mixture and drizzle the melted butter all over the top.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until the broccoli is at your desired doneness. 45 minutes will make your broccoli very very tender, so adjust time accordingly.
- When the broccoli au gratin is bubbly and cooked through, remove the foil and broil it on high for 1-2 minutes if you want to have the top more brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve and enjoy.