A Pinch of Adventure is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
This Authentic Homemade Refried Bean recipe is so delicious and smooth and can be cooked an Instant Pot or slow cooker, perfect with any Mexican dish.
Classic refried beans are a Mexican staple side dish. When made correctly, they are smooth and delicious. I am NOT a fan of refried beans from a can, if you have every had authentic homemade refried beans you will never go back to store bought.
They are actually surprisingly easy to make, and quick if you have an Instant Pot. You can also cook your beans in a slow cooker too, I do both. If you don’t have an Instant Pot I highly recommend this one!
Add 2 cups of pinto beans, water, salt and an onion cut in half to your Instant Pot or slow cooker. If using an Instant Pot, press the “manual” button and select 25 minutes. If using a slow cooker just put it on high for 8 hours.
You can also check out these other amazing Instant Pot recipes:
After the beans are done cooking, chop up 1 onion and mince 3 cloves of garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes in 1/3 cup of oil.
Add beans with liquid, one lade at a time and mash with a potato masher. Click on the links above if you don’t have one and check out my video below for how to make authentic homemade refried beans.
Check out this Potato Masher. It is what I use to mash the beans. It’s a must have in your kitchen repertoire.
Add salt and mash together, letting the liquid cook out in between. You will not use all of the liquid, just use what you need to reach the right consistency.
Serve as a side dish, top with melty white cheese, avocados, onions or cilantro. The perfect dish to go with this? Check out The Short Order Cook’s Easy Restaurant Style Mexican Rice! Enjoy!
Shop Kitchen Items from This recipe!
Check out these other popular recipes from A Pinch Of Adventure!
Authentic Homemade Refried Beans
- 2 cups pinto beans
- 8 cups water
- 4 teas salt divided
- 2 onions
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- ⅓ cup oil corn or vegetable
- Add water, dry pinto beans, 1 onion (cut in half) and 2 teas salt to an Instant Pot or slow cooker
- If using an instant pot, set it manually to 25 minutes with it sealed. If using a slow cooker set it to high for 8 hours
- Heat the oil in a non-stick pan and sauté the diced onion and minced garlic for 4-5 minutes until soft
- Add cooked beans with liquid, 1 ladle full at a time, to the pan with the onions and garlic.
- Mash with a potato masher as if fries in the pan. Add the remaining salt
- Continue to add 1 ladle of beans with liquid at a time, mashing it and letting it thicken up until all of the beans are transferred and mashed
- Discard remaining liquid
- Top with melty white cheese, onions, cilantro or avocado
- Serve and enjoy!